Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Vinnie The Great

  1. #1
    Inactive Member S.P's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 24th, 2004
    Posts
    1,178
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    For those of you who have already seen the Gregg Bissonette DVD then you will know this. I just got my copy today and Gregg is a great drummer and seems like a super nice guy, hes really funny too.

    Anyways the story is: vinnie gets a call from a producer to do a recording session, and he can't do it so he recommends Gregg for it and it ends up being the Carlos Santana Supernatural Session, which won quite a few grammys i understand, anyways

    1. For me it would have absolutely AWESOME to hear Vinnie with Santana and i hope Carlos calls him again for another session

    2. This goes to show what a great guy Vinnie is recommending Gregg for such a great session, which is well deserved by Gregg anyway!

    3. this also goes to show how important networking is in the music business

    I thought that story was amazing!

    Daniel

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ April 04, 2005 08:18 AM: Message edited by: S.P ]</font>

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Randy walker's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2001
    Posts
    2,662
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I love the comic bit at the end of disc2, funny stuff.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member S.P's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 24th, 2004
    Posts
    1,178
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I still at the first jazz tune in disc 1! haha i can't wait to finish dvd it seems great so far!

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Randy walker's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2001
    Posts
    2,662
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    well, i have not sat down and watched the entire dvd front to back, I scanned both discs just to see what they were about. The studio where they filmed this is awesome.
    of course, Greg's drums sound amazing as usual. Talks about the 'blushda' in those exact words!
    2 credits to look for at disc2's end, Marc Atkinson and Danny Kim. Marc of course did all the transcriptions which are in PDF on the dvds.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member FuseU1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 15th, 2002
    Posts
    3,631
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Didn't Rodney Holmes end up doing those Santana Supernatural [SOOPAR-plat. [img]wink.gif[/img] ] sessions? Or was he hired for the tour afterwards?

    I thought he was on the disc itself. Or did GB do a track or two on there AW? BION, i wasn't interested in buying that disc...but I do have the live DVD with Rodney AWA Carter B sitting in.

    But I am glad for Carlos...now if we all could enjoy THAT kind of resurgence of success later in our lives/careers...it's like hitting the lotto twice...of course, once you hit it the first time, it makes it a LITTLE easier to hit it the 2nd...but not always/guaranteed... ;c)

    I've seen RH twice; w Julian Coryell, & then Stv Kimock recently...he's a great player...sometimes a little busy, but then sometimes I likes it like dat ;c)...but he's still always great with it regardless... [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

    We all already know about Vinnie...
    [which gives proof to the fact that aliens DID come to Earth & start a race of super-drummers]... ;cP

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ April 04, 2005 02:41 PM: Message edited by: fuseU1 ]</font>

  6. #6
    Inactive Member tombo74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2003
    Posts
    584
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Many drummers ended up playing on the Supernatural sessions:
    Carter Beauford
    Jimmy Keegan
    Alex Gonzales
    Gregg Bissonette
    El Negro
    Rodney Holmes
    Billy Friday Johnson

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Suspiria's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 16th, 2004
    Posts
    1,358
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I am so into Rodney Holmes! I believe it was that famous Santana and Friends concert DVD where I first saw him. That guy is a real beast. What I find particularly amazing is his posture while he plays. His elbows rarely leave his sides, which makes things look so effortless. Great guy!

    PS: Any recordings I should check out?

  8. #8
    Inactive Member FuseU1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 15th, 2002
    Posts
    3,631
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Suspiria - if the "Steve Kimock Band" [instrumental & sometimes with vocals rock-fusion guitarist] comes ANYWHERE near you [while RH is still on kit] - GO.

    TONIGHT it appears that Kimock [pronounced like, "KIM-mick"] is at the Cutting Room in NYC [don't know if the whole band w RH is a confirmation]...

    http://www.kimock.com/frames/
    Click on "tour" [to the L].

    He REALLY gets to play [read: cut-loose!] in that band; way much moreso than w Santana, & probably more than he did w Julian Coryell [famous "pioneer fusion guitarist" Larry Coryell's son]. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]eek.gif[/img] [img]cool.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ April 04, 2005 05:00 PM: Message edited by: fuseU1 ]</font>

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Suspiria's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 16th, 2004
    Posts
    1,358
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks fuse! Nothing on the tourin schedule that is in my area, but I'll keep them in mind. Thanks for that link.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member ladanny's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 31st, 2003
    Posts
    819
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I haven't seen the final DVD yet. When Gregg told me he was putting my name under the "Special Thank You" section, I was blown away. I told him he didn't have to, but you know Gregg.

    Danny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •